One of the best parts of my work as Chief Veterinary Officer for Nationwide — and before the brand change, for Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) — has been being able to meet so many wonderful veterinary students, in no small part through our support of the Veterinary Business Management Association (VBMA).
I love meeting new externs in our offices every summer, and I really enjoy hosting a reception for VBMA officers at the NAVC conference and a dinner for the National VBMA executive board on the eve of the AVMA convention. Meeting so many smart, hard-working young adults gives me an infusion of fresh enthusiasm for the profession we all love, the clients we serve, and the animals we all care for. In the hands of these future veterinarians, the challenges we see will be strongly addressed, this I truly believe.
At the dinner held for VBMA board every summer, the meals can also be almost as enjoyable as the company, which was certainly the case in Boston earlier this month, when we all traveled to the North End’s famed Mama Maria’s. I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to get anyone to leave!
This year in addition to Dr. Jim Wilson, J.D., and our Nationwide field veterinarians Drs. Cori Gross and Kristi Yee (all three pictured at the top of this post), I hosted two of the strongest groups of veterinary students I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing, including 2015 National VBMA president Hatley McMicking, left, of Western University, who has been previously featured on this blog.
The other members of the current National VBMA executive board and their schools:
- Vice President: Jayme Cicchelli, Michigan State University
- Treasurer: Katie Bishop, University of Pennsylvania
- Compliance Director: Anastasia Handwerk, Cornell University
- Marketing Director: Kristin Wuellner, Auburn University
- Business Certificate Director: Emily Tincher, Auburn University
The 2016 executive board:
- President-elect: Jessi Kraemer, University of Missouri
- Vice President-elect: Zack Loppnow, University of Minnesota
- Treasurer-elect: Garrett Harvey, University of Pennsylvania
- Compliance Director-elect: Mikayla Schroeder, University of Minnesota
- Marketing Director-elect: Kim Bocchiaro, Michigan State University
- Business Certificate Director-elect: Jill Giunco, University of Pennsylvania
As always, the evening was successfully arranged thanks to the hard work of our veterinary education programs specialist, Nicole Numbers. I left the dinner smiling and inspired, and I’m pretty sure everyone else did, too.
For more information on the VBMA, drop Hatley an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.