Monday, June 14th, 2021, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Tuesday, June 15th, 2021, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Nationwide’s business externship program for veterinary students is a chance for future veterinarians to learn fundamental business concepts and specific information about pet health insurance. While typically we bring students to our Southern California offices, because of the continued effects of COVID-19, we’re decided to offer the externship online again for 2021.
During the two-day virtual event, students will gain an in-depth understanding of how Nationwide’s pet health insurance business is managed, and how pet health insurance products are designed. Students also learn skills such as managing social media for small businesses, corporate medicine, owning and running a veterinary business, and veterinary law.
In addition to lectures from associates at Nationwide’s pet health insurance unit, we’ve arranged for outside experts to participate as well:
- BluePrints Veterinary Marketing Group, a full-service marketing and consulting agency for specialty practices and groups. BluePrints will discuss the marketing, media, and social media knowledge and skills that are essential to the success of veterinary professionals.
- Dr. Mary Gardner, one of the founders of Lap of Love, the largest network of veterinarians dedicated solely to end of life veterinary care. Discussion will be on starting, owning, and running a veterinary business.
- Charlotte Lacroix, DVM, JD, owns Veterinary Business Advisors, Inc., a national consulting firm advising on veterinary business and legal issues. After working as an equine veterinarian, Dr. Lacroix transitioned to law and to advocacy for veterinarians. With more than 20 years of experience assisting veterinarians, her expertise is in companion and large animal, and multi-specialty practices. Dr. Lacroix lectures extensively on business and legal issues and facilitates continuing education seminars nationwide.
- Dr. Christy Bell, Director of Talent Acquisition at the VCA corporate office, will provide insight on corporate medicine, guidelines for purchasing a hospital, and career model for veterinarians, including medical management vs. business management.
- Dr. Kristina Yee owns the Hometown Veterinary Hospital in Rochester Hills, Mich. Previously, she worked as an associate at a six-doctor companion animal hospital in addition to lecturing at national conferences, speaking on behalf of and supporting Nationwide at veterinary schools across the country and providing professional development consulting services for veterinary schools and practitioners nationwide. Dr. Yee will discuss hiring, firing, communication, and developing and leading an effective, happy veterinary team.
- Dr. Jennifer Gregory is an associate veterinarian at a companion animal practice in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. Her professional interests include internal medicine, soft tissue surgery, oral surgery, and dentistry. She recently started coordinating CT services for her hospital. Dr. Gregory does consulting work for Nationwide and has complied research regarding student loan debt specifically for the veterinary industry and options for student loan repayment, which will be the topic of her presentation.
VBMA members get first preference. To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, school, grad year and VBMA affiliation (officer title or member), if any. VBMA students will be eligible for BCP credit. Students must register no later than Tuesday, June 1st, 2021.