Nationwide’s veterinary student externship program is a chance for future veterinarians to learn fundamental business concepts and specific information about pet insurance. The one-week rotation takes place in Southern California, home to Nationwide’s pet insurance operation. Students who have been through the program have given it high marks for adding business experience to their CVs. (And they’ve had nice things to say about Orange County’s beaches and theme parks, too!)
Selected from a national applicant pool, the student externs gain in-depth understanding of how Nationwide’s pet health insurance business is managed and how pet insurance products are designed. Externs also learn skills such as managing social media for small businesses, including how to deal with bad reviews and cyber bullying.
- Accommodations: Nationwide will provide airfare up to $600 and five nights of accommodations at a hotel close to the Nationwide offices in Brea, Calif.
- Salary: Externs will receive an hourly rate of $15 for a five-day work week.
- Invaluable experience: Externs will gain insight into the inner workings of the company that has defined the U.S. pet insurance industry since 1982.
(Externs will be responsible for all other incidentals, meal and entertainment expenses.)
Additional business exposure
Externs spend a day off-site in the Los Angeles area. The day will include:
- An appointment with the VCA corporate office and a tour of VCA West LA Animal Hospital, one of the largest private small animal hospitals in the country. There’s also time to enjoy the Santa Monica’s beach — one of the best known in the world.
- Time with BluePrints Veterinary Marketing Group, a full-service marketing and consulting agency for specialty practices and groups. BluePrints will discuss the marketing, media and social media knowledge and skills that are essential to the success of veterinary professionals.
- Video conference with Dr. Mary Gardner, who is one of the founders of Lap of Love, the largest network of veterinarians dedicated solely to end of life veterinary care. Discussion will be on starting, owning and running a veterinary business.
- Visit with Bonnie Lutz , an attorney whose practice consists of defending veterinarians in litigation and administrative actions in addition to providing general counsel services for humane societies throughout California.
Candidates are encouraged to submit a resume´ and cover letter explaining why they would like to do the Nationwide Veterinary Student Business Externship and why they feel they are a good candidate for the externship to Nationwide’s veterinary education program specialist, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for the 2020 externship will be accepted until Feb. 15th, 2020. The chosen candidate (s) and all other applicants will be notified of their status by March 15th, 2020.
The Summer Externship takes place over a one-week period in the month of June or July. Dates are subject to externship participants’ scheduling availability.